The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A personal good-bye from UIS

It's been a great run. I've been at UIS for 22+ years. Today is my last day. I had two careers here -- one in journalism at Illinois Issues (10 years), and the other as the chancellor's chief of staff (12 years).

I leave with a lot of great memories, and my greatest feeling is one of gratitude. I've had a chance to work with some of the most talented people in the region, very innovative 21st century knowledge workers. I've also been remarkably lucky to be part of the lives of some of the brightest young people in America--our students and alumni--people who will shape the 21st century. I'm also grateful for the central Illinois visionaries of the 1960s who dreamed of having a university in Springfield. They would be happy to know it's thriving and still growing.

I'm not retiring, just moving to a new opportunity. I almost wrote that I'm leaving a lot of great relationships behind, but I deleted that. Life is not linear, so the relationships continue, and powerful institutions like UIS keep humming. I'm glad they do, because as alumnus Saul Morse wrote in a recent op-ed column, UIS is a tremendous community asset, and "the prospects for this institution of higher education and its effect upon our community are limitless."

Ed Wojcicki and Donovan Pepper
Here I'm with alum Donovan Pepper at a U of I Lobby Day

Jinger Sanders and Ed Wojcicki
And with senior Jinger Sanders on a different Lobby Day