The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

"Return if possible"

UIS professor Lucas Vespa announces June 2, 2014, that Sandeep Reddy (backgournd on slide) was inducted postumously into the national computer science honor society.
A good photo of former UIS graduate student Sandeep Reddy stayed on the screen a long time during a memorial service in his honor at UIS yesterday. Sandeep drowned May 26, 2014, while visiting relatives.
What especially struck me were the words "Return If Possible" next to his picture. I didn't know what they meant. Had never seen them at a funeral or memorial service before. So I asked a colleague about it, and he explained -- if I understood correctly -- that it signifies his friends' desire for Sandeep to come back and be with them in some way.
Why come back? So they could play cricket together, of course! Sandeep loved to play cricket, as do many UIS students from India. He just became the captain of the UIS cricket team.
So return if possible, Sandeep. And as many of your friends said at yesterday's service, rest in peace.