The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Friday, March 29, 2013

How to use the "MyIdea" email to get ideas to chancellor

Yesterday, Chancellor Koch invited your input into a campus conversation about budget issues. She made it easy. To share your idea about UIS budget issues with the chancellor, just write to MyIdea@uis.edu. Thank you very much!

Thursday, March 21, 2013

UIS alumni rock in the capitol

Yesterday UIS gave about 50 high school students from five different schools a behind-the-scenes look at the Illinois State Capitol. Our alumni really pitched in to help with the tours. Among them was Dustin Morrison (left), a Downstate Issues Analyst in the office of Governor Pat Quinn. He gave our guests an inside look of the governor's office. Thanks to Dustin and our many other alumni  in and around the Capitol who helped yesterday.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

3 ways that I'm grateful today

Now that spring break is just over, shouldn't it be warmer outside than it is today or will be tomorrow? I know I haven't posted for awhile but that's going to change. I like to focus on the strong community that we continue to build here and will be having a few observations.

For example, I'm not sure that we in administration do enough to express our appreciation for the great work done by our staff and faculty. Maybe I can move the needle on that just a bit. I've been reading a book by Ann Voskamp in which she dared herself to identify a thousand ordinary things that she's grateful for. That inspires me to look back at the past winter and be thankful for... 
-- the friendly, hospitable staff in Capitol Perks and the Food Emporium whenever I order my totally predictable cup of coffee and sandwich... 
-- the cleared parking lots and sidewalks after the snow... 
-- my trash getting emptied every day without fail... 
Thanks to those of you who do these jobs. They might seem ordinary to some people, but they really make my day.