The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Saturday, April 20, 2013

When they called me "still an athlete"

Last night at the annual UIS Athletics banquet, I was touched to get a little recognition from the Student-Athletes Advisory Committee for my support of student-athletes in recent years, including going to their games and buying their T-shirts and sweatshirts and offering moral support. The truth is, it's easy for me to support these people because they are great young men and women. But I still got a kick out of softball and basketball player Mallory Beck publicly calling me "still an athlete" while introducing me. She didn't say "at his age" but I know what she and her friends were thinking. People say if something is on the Internet, it must be true, and so I'm posting this tidbit on the Internet so it must be true that I'm still an athlete. Congratulations to all the UIS student award winners, especially Abby Vorreyer, female athlete of the year (golf); and Kyle Gupton, male athlete of the year (basketball).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home