The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Friday, April 5, 2013

Student leaders seek more connections in Springfield community

Springfield Mayor Mike Houston gave an hour of his time today to answer UIS student leaders' questions. Our students told him that they would like to see UIS more connected to the Springfield community and they'd like to see more recognition of UIS students by Springfield businesses, especially the ones downtown. The mayor suggested that they consider volunteering for Downtown Springfield Inc. and the Convention and Visitors Bureau at city events where a lot of help is needed. Seems like a great idea to me, and I hope our students follow up. The mayor also mentioned that he has a UIS intern working in his office; one of the students in the group today is an intern now with Downtown Springfield. So the opportunities to collaborate are there already. My advice to UIS students and staff is to reach out in many ways and offer to help, and soon enough people in the community will recognize you even more.

Springfield Mayor Mike Houston meets in the City Council chamber with leaders of the UIS  Student Government Association. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home