The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

An almost new advising idea

I met a great group of young people last night, the Illinois College Advising Corps.

They were at UIS for a bit of training, and a couple dozen of them will filter out to various high schools in Illinois this year. Their goal is to help primarily low-income students learn the ropes and benefits of attending college. A few will work at universities where they have placed students, to help those students adapt to college life.

Their enthusiasm was contagious. As Chancellor Koch said, you could feel lots of energy in the room. I'm glad Illinois is finding more ways like this to make college accessible to young people who might not have taken that big step.

Labels: ,

Monday, July 18, 2011

New chancellor getting tours

I'm impressed that Dr. Susan Koch has been here only two weeks, but already she has taken tour of quite a few campus locations -- such as TRAC and University Hall. Having moved here from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, she wants to see "every square inch" of our facilities and buildings, and meet people all along the way.

Labels: ,

Friday, July 15, 2011

Surprise lily

Lo and behold, we're supposed to get enjoyment from the small things in life. We've been in our house for 26 years, and each year, a "surprise lily" emerges in our flower bed. It happened again this year, so I took some pictures yesterday. How pretty -- and how fragrant when brought into the house! I asked my wife about it, and she said it was started coming up from the time we moved in back in 1985. They say to stop and smell the roses. I say it's fun to be surprised by a surprise lily.

Labels: