The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

President Hogan's blog

The new U of I president, Mike Hogan, has just launched his own blog--a practice recommended by many social media experts. He calls it PrezRelease. It's already clear, and fun to know, that if you can get your picture taken with him at some event, he just might post it on his blog.

Labels: , ,

Thursday, August 19, 2010

A new tradition - the medallion

I just saw all of our new freshmen gathered in The Recreation and Athletic Center. Each was given a medallion, the first time this has happened to a new group of freshmen at UIS. We think it will become a new tradition. The idea is for them to wear the medallion at their graduation ceremony in four years; it will always serve as a reminder of what they heard on their first day: the importance of going to class, studying hard, and having fun. The "having fun" really is important. How often people say, I had a great time in college. It's the total experience. Our new freshmen, the class of 2014, have a medallion to remind them of it.

Labels: ,

Monday, August 16, 2010

Cool banners downtown

UIS is observing its 40th anniversary this year. The local community recognizes that with some cool banners on light poles downtown. Also, we have 40th anniversary web site with a lot of information. Soon it will include a newly written and up to date history of the university.