The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A rally well executed

Last night about 300 people attended a "No Place for Hate" rally and speakout on our quad. I'd call it a great success. Led by Bret Tate, president of the student group called Queer Straight Alliance, our students and their allies cheered for the numerous calls for acceptance of a wide range of behaviors, lifestyles, and choices. That's as it should be in a university community. Nearly everybody who spoke found their way to a common theme: an attack on one of us is an attack on all of us, and it's up to all of us to show support for one another. This morning, I tip my cap to the students who orchestrated the rally, march and speakout. It was civil, energizing and very effective.

Labels: , , ,

Friday, October 2, 2009

Second forum, many issues

A handful of people were at the forum today, raising questions about some old issues and raising some new ones as well. I have some homework to do, with questions arising about reporting of our SECA contributions, why the soccer teams are on the other side of the field this year, whether we could offer a CPR class here, the lack of Board of Trustees pictures in the PAC lobby, furlough days, and whether chemicals sprayed on our campus lawns might be harmful to to squirrels, ducks, geese and other animals. Someone also commented favorably about the statement sent to the campus today by the chancellor in support of our LGBTQ community. Go to my web site for updates about these issues. Click on the "topics" links on the left sid of that page.