The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Friday, March 13, 2009

Food at UIS

There has been quite a discussion started today about the UIS food. I want to offer people an alternative format -- this blog, which is the perfect place for such a discussion. Click on the "Post a Comment" link at the bottom of the "comments" section below this post to add your two cents.

Labels:

Monday, March 9, 2009

Regular open forums? What about "Talk to Ed"?

Last week at the Civil Service Advisory Committee meeting, I suggested that I'd like to be available regularly for small open forums for UIS staff to talk about what's on their minds. The forums would be called something simple like "Talk to Ed." It would be very informal, and NOT on the PAC 5th floor. I'd go to different places on campus. (I'm also thinking some people would not want to say publicly what's on their mind. I'd be available for that, too, privately, at a different time.) Probably, only a small number of people would come each time, but I think it would be worthwhile. What do you think?

Labels: ,

Sunday, March 1, 2009

That crowd of 2,013

To say I enjoyed the atmosphere in The Recreation and Athletic Center yesterday afternoon is an understatement. First our women's basketball team won a thrilling victory over McKendree. Later, the men's team hung close but lost to the conference-unbeaten McKendree, which is fourth-ranked nationally in the NAIA. I'll always remember this day because TRAC attendance topped 2,000 for the first time. Officially, it was 2,013. Lots of people came from the community, and students came, and friends and family were there on Senior Day. I hope that by word of mouth, the energetic buzz generated yesterday by the players and their supporters will spread. Don't be surprised if someone unexpectedly says to you: Do you realize how things are growing and growing at UIS? It was a really big day for UIS and therefore, for the Springfield community.

Labels: ,