The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Helping reform Illinois

We're really pleased to be hosting the Illinois Reform Commission tomorrow at UIS. The topic is campaign finance reform -- a perfect topic for our campus. Dr. Kent Redfield is the state's leading academic expert on this topic. He's been telling great stories about the abuse and misuse of campaign funds for almost two decades.

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Where to really learn about social media and higher ed

I just learned about a new company called BlueFuego.com. What I really like about this company's creators is they don't give me all their theory. They mainly talk about what works. One of the founders, Brad Ward, is a UIS alum. He started his career at UIS and did a lot of web stuff and photography and blogging when he was a student and staffer here. He's already traveling around the world telling people what works -- and how to do what works. That's what people want to know: what works. I do wonder, though, what the heck a blue fuego is.

Labels: , ,

Monday, February 16, 2009

It's not just about money

Staff have been asking: If you can't give us much more money, could you please consider doing other things that might improve morale and make people feel better about their jobs? The answer is yes. We now have a Non-Monetary Compensation Committee, and they're kicking around some ideas. Anybody can contribute ideas to this by sending an email note to UISNMCC@uis.edu. Our Human Resources department is totally committed to being creative with this committee. Thanks to APAC and CSAC for suggesting it. If you'd like, you can suggest your own ideas by clicking on the comments link below.

Labels: , , ,

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Lincoln isn't a cliche

Tomorrow is Lincoln's 200th birthday. What strikes me this morning is that it's almost impossible to talk about Lincoln without reverting to cliches. Which is why I like to walk past his house, less than two miles from mine, and look at the simple two-story building and imagine him walking down that street. Anybody can walk there. It's federal property. But no gates, no big fences to keep you out. Just walk down 8th Street and there is the house. I love local writer Vachel Lindsay's poem, "Abraham Lincoln Walks at Midnight." I like to tell our students they have a unique opportunity during their years here to absorb some of what Lincoln learned by living on the flat prairie. You are walking where Lincoln walked. You can experience that lasting principles matter. You can experience that doing the right thing will get you as much criticism as praise.

Labels:

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Exercise. OK, I'm trying it again

I signed up for an exercise program in our rec center. It started a week or two ago, and I'm getting over there three times a week. Trainer Amanda Jillson is running the class. The great thing is, so many people signed up for this course called P90X that she agreed to offer two more sections. I feel better the rest of the day each time I go. People who exercise say that, and it's true with me as well. It's going to be a stressful year in many ways, so I'm glad UIS makes this available to students and staff.

Labels: ,