The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Friday, September 11, 2009

First question

I didn't ask, but I think Chris Kennedy, a new member of the University of Illinois Board of Trustees, sent a clear message yesterday not only with his first question, but by the intended audience for that question. He had just listened to a quick but detailed orientation from an administrator about U of I attributes and challenges. Among many other things, he heard that thousands of students at all three campuses are in danger of losing some critical state financial aid in the spring semester. He didn't ask for clarification. He got it. When it came time for questions, he turned to the three student trustees and asked them if the students on the three campuses were aware of the problem. Yes, they told him. Then he asked if there's a genuine concern that students will have to drop out in the spring if they don't get this financial aid. Yes, they told him again. Not long afterward, Kennedy was elected the board chair. Then there was a great photographic moment -- I didn't have a camera -- with Kennedy and Governor Pat Quinn chatting in a very friendly way with the three student trustees. I hope someone took that picture.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At September 21, 2009 at 8:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whatever happened to the investigation into what happened in March with the Athletic coaches and female atheletes?

At October 1, 2009 at 6:14 PM , Anonymous kstemmons said...

I believe that undergraduate students are already feeling the pinche of underfunded financial aid. I personally know of some students that go to other colleges in Illinois that have not received their Illinois Map Grants yet and were told by their school's financial office that they cannot even ask for the Map Grant to be paid out until middle October 2009. If universities are having trouble obtaining financial aid funds now, I can only imagine what the Spring semester will look like. This is definitely a story to follow closely.

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home