The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The whole House was here, making history

The House of Representatives was on campus today. All 118 of them, as they were sworn in on the first day of the new General Assembly. What a privilege for UIS to be in the capital city and host events like this. Watch some video here. More photos are available here from the UIS web site. It's notable that Governor Blagojevich was impeached for a second time after the members were sworn in. Thirty years from now, people will be wondering why the House took this vote for the second time and why they did it at UIS instead of in their own chamber in the state Capitol. I plan to chronicle that.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At January 15, 2009 at 9:08 AM , Anonymous latrice said...

I see why they would need a UIS to accomodate a grand inauguration for 118 Representatives and their families. A great event for UIS!
I had the honor of experiencing watching Senate inauguration, and congrats to the new senators and other representatives last night.
This is definitely a whirlwind of a start to the 96th GA, yet through it all- let's hope we progress "integritively"...is that a word? :) ok...(with integrity) Be blessed!

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home