The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Friday, July 25, 2008

Energy use - and window replacement

All three campuses of the U of I are trying to reduce energy consumption. People from each campus made a presentation at the Board of Trustees' meeting yesterday in Chicago. Dave Barrows, our director of Facilities and Services, talked about the replacing windows at Brookens Library with double-pane glass. It will cost nearly $2 million and will save on both cooling and heating costs forevermore. The plan is to have only minor disruptions, if any, to library users, and to finish the job long before the cold of winter arrives.

Sunday, July 20, 2008

"Blended"

You're going to being hearing a not-so-new phrase a lot in the next couple of years: "blended learning." It's a way of giving instruction that is part online, part in the classroom. It's been happening and evolving, but most of the attention in the past 10 years around the world has been on online courses and programs. In a way, for a professor to use online tools as part of her course is like using a old-fashioned blackboard. It's a tool to teach. UIS is hosting a major conference this week on online and blended learning.  People from around the country want to know what a UIS expert, Ray Schroeder, has to say about this. I'd suggest going to Ray's blog if you want to know why Ray has become a national leader in online education.

Labels: ,

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

"Technology" in the Olympics

The first issue of Fortune magazine, in 1927 I think, had an article about new technology. It was about refrigeration! A couple of years ago, a friend told me about his love of bowling and all the new technology in bowling balls. I had no idea. Now I've been reading about new technologies being used at the Olympics -- shoes especially for rowing, a special bow for shooting arrows, and swimsuits designed to make people "smaller" and therefore faster. Read about them in FastCompany magazine, one of my favorites. Here at UIS most of us tend to think about using computer technology when we ponder uses of new technology. That's a pretty narrow definition.

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Why UIS? "My professors know me"

I was talking to a parent last week. He told me his daughter is having a great experience at UIS. "She knows her professors, and they know her," he said -- and so she gets a lot of great attention and assistance. This is one of the most common responses when I ask people about their UIS education -- the small classes and close interaction with the professors. It's real. It's not a marketing statement, not a cliche. That's what makes it so special at UIS.

Labels: ,