The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Stopping and pausing for good reason

I stopped and paused today -- twice -- going through the PAC lobby. I was so moved; I really can't explain why; I just know I felt connected to people across the globe, and to our own students who are connected to their sisters and brothers in Kenya. The first time, I caught myself gazing at and into the replica of a small metal Kenyan hut, where 15 or 20 people might live. I couldn't imagine it, though I know it's true. (Thanks to Jeremy Wilburn for the photo posted here.) The next time, the pictures on exhibit grabbed my heart: smiling Kenyan children living in awful conditions. Happiness and horror all in one picture. Some UIS students have been to Kenya to help these kids, feed them and improve their living conditions in small ways. Their commitment to service of the poor is awesome. And admirable. Not to mention the Jump for Joel fundraiser they are conducting. It was especially great to see Shana Stine on campus today as part of this one-day exhibit. She's an inspiration to many of us; her courage gives a different context to the day-to-day nuisances I sometimes complain about.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At November 19, 2008 at 11:35 PM , Anonymous shana said...

Ed! Thank you so much for stopping by our exhibit today! Thanks also for the wonderful words written in this post. I feel very blessed and encouraged - THANK YOU.

At November 20, 2008 at 11:20 PM , Blogger Gretchen Magruder said...

It's encouraging that even in Shana's absence this semester, there have been more and more students getting involved with Jump for Joel and making a difference!

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home