The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Monday, November 10, 2008

Sometimes I'm just inspired

One of our alumni is partially responsible for something truly remarkable in India. In 2005, his boss told him they were going to set up a 911-type emergency phone system for all 1 billion people in India in five years. "I said OK, because he's my boss," said Raju Indukuri of Fremont, California, who received a University of Illinois Alumni Achievement Award on Friday night. By now they're more than halfway to their goal in India, and the system has saved tens of thousands of lives. They hope to have the rest of the nation on the emergency system by 2010. Indukuri is so excited about this. He told me they're also working with Stanford to train thousands of paramedics to respond to these emergency calls. His boss is Ramalinga Raju, the founder and chairman of Satyam Computer Services. UIS prides itself on "making a difference in the world," one of our strategic plan's top three goals. Raju is making a big, big difference. His work inspires me, and his enthusiasm inspires me even more.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home