The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Monday, August 4, 2008

If a committee designed a stop sign

I came across a great brief video this weekend. What if a committee designed a stop sign? I mention it here because I work with a lot of creative professionals at UIS -- designers, writers and artists. I am especially thinking of the university's Creative Director, Diana Nelson, a brilliant designer. Often when I give her ideas, she just smiles at me, and then she leaves and creates something a thousand times better than I could have dreamed up. Like the new interior building directory signs that will go up all over campus in the next month or so. I think you'll love the video: http://usedwigs.com/video-stop-sign-designed-by-committee/. I give credit to one of my favorite authors and bloggers, Seth Godin, who posted the link to the video on his blog.

10 Comments:

At August 4, 2008 at 10:29 AM , Blogger Bradjward said...

Great video, I had to laugh at it when I thought of the 13-person committee I was on for our new interactive map. What a mess.

Did you join Seth's Tribe? I am member #38. It's pretty neat on the back side.

At August 4, 2008 at 9:03 PM , Anonymous Ed Wojcicki said...

No, I haven't joined Seth's Tribe. I just read about it this morning.

At August 5, 2008 at 9:40 AM , Blogger dnelson said...

Welcome to my world!

I also laughed out loud at this. Working with a committee of 13 or 2, it really doesn't matter. The "NEW starburst" request had me falling off my chair.

I recall presenting a book cover design to a publisher and book editor once. The publisher, sitting at my elbow by my computer, asked me to move the design elements for a better look. I explained that I visited all the possibilities that would make the best aesthetically pleasing design but I would humor him as he asked. He had me move the photo to the left, then to the right, then down. He moved the title to the lower left, then to the lower right, then to the top. Finally, the publisher completed the design and well pleased to his satisfaction when the book editor pointed out that he had only re-designed it to my original design. We laughed about it and still do.

Thanks for the kind words!

Diana Nelson

At August 5, 2008 at 10:23 AM , OpenID jeremywilburn said...

Haha! What a great video! I wish I could have watched it yesterday before our meeting.

Ed, did you form a committee before deciding where to put the signage? JK.

At September 21, 2008 at 6:16 PM , Blogger rain1000 said...

wow goldwow goldwow goldAge of Conan gold cheap Warhammer gold are all in gamelee.

At September 21, 2008 at 6:18 PM , Blogger rain1000 said...

world of warcraft goldbuy wow goldcheap wow goldwow power levelingwow powerlevelingwow levelingworld of warcraft goldbuy wow goldcheap wow goldwow power levelingwow powerlevelingwow goldbuy wow goldcheap wow goldwow power levelingwow powerlevelingEverQuest 2 goldeq2 platrunescape goldrunescape moneyEverQuest 2 goldeq2 platLOTRO GoldLOTR Goldlord of the ring goldMaple Story MesosMaple Story mesomaplestory Mesosmaplestory Mesosilkroad online goldLineage 1 adenaGranado Espada goldSilkroad goldbuy silkroad goldflyff penyabuy flyff goldflyff moneyfinal fantasy xi gilffxi gilEverQuest platbuy eq goldEverQuest goldeq plateq goldage of conan power levelingaoc goldEverQuest platbuy eq goldEverQuest goldeq plateq goldrunescape goldrunescape moneyEverQuest 2 plateq2 platCity of Heroes influencecoh influenceCity of Villains infamyCOV infamylineage 1 adenalineage adenamaple Story mesosmaplestory mesosmaplestory mesoMaple Story mesopotbs doubloonragnarok zenyro zenyrappelz rupeerappelz goldstar wars galaxies creditsswg creditssilkroad goldsilk road goldsword of the new world vistales of pirates goldtibia moneyvanguard goldwarhammer goldage of conan goldage of conan power levelingage of conan goldage of conan power levelingage of conan goldage of conan power levelingage of conan goldage of conan power levelingage of conan goldage of conan power levelingage of conan goldage of conan power levelingaoc goldaoc goldAge of Conan goldaoc power levelingaoc levelingbuy ffxi gilage conan goldbuy ffxi gilbuy ffxi gilbuy ffxi gilage conan goldage conan goldage conan goldaoc goldgameleerain Webloggamleerain spotgameleerain BLOGgamelee RainWarhammer goldWarhammer goldvoyage century goldWarhammer goldWarhammer goldfinal fantasy xi gilfinal fantasy 11 cheap gilfinal fantasy 11 cheap gil

At April 16, 2009 at 8:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always heard something from my neighbor that he sometimes goes to the internet bar to play the game which will use him some gw gold,he usually can win a lot of GuildWars Gold,then he let his friends all have some Guild Wars Gold,his friends thank him very much for introducing them the GuildWars money,they usually cheap gw gold together.

At September 20, 2009 at 10:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW Gold
Metin2 Yang
Aion Gold
Buy Aion
Cheap WOW Gold
Metin2 Yang
Buy WOW Gold

At September 20, 2009 at 10:06 PM , Anonymous chiben00 said...

WOW Gold
Metin2 Yang
Aion Gold
Buy Aion
Cheap WOW Gold
Metin2 Yang
Buy WOW Gold

At September 20, 2009 at 10:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW Gold
Metin2 Yang
Aion Gold
Buy Aion
Cheap WOW Gold
Metin2 Yang
Buy WOW Gold

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home