The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Wind, rain, Auburn graduation and more

I'm almost losing count of the bad weather scenarios. Last Friday evening (May 30) we had a tornado warning in the area. Actually, more than one. Then last night, just four days later, storm after storm blew through central Illinois, giving us another tornado warning and a record 4.71 inches of rain, obliterating the daily record of 2.23, set in 1919. Seems as if I'm spending a lot of time in my basement, just waiting. On Friday night, we had to interrupt the Auburn High School graduation in our Sangamon Auditorium because of the tornado warning. Spending time safely in our lower tunnels is something those people will never forget, I'm sure. This is also the year we exceeded our average amount of snow by almost 10 inches. Then we got a cold and wet spring season without having a lot of pleasant spring weather. I'm ready to shout "Enough!" because I sense that all of this is exhausting people. At the same time, I'm so grateful to the UIS Police Department for staying on top of the weather conditions, keeping the campus community informed, and doing what they must to help keep people safe.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At June 4, 2008 at 9:17 AM , OpenID jeremywilburn said...

The storms make for some pretty amazing shots though.

Storm Photos

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home