The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

It's still about the students, with Dr. Miller leaving

The chancellor announced today how we'll handle the transition when Dr. Chris Miller departs this summer as vice chancellor of student affairs and administrative services. Two senior administrators, Steve Chrans and Marya Leatherwood, will become "interim assistant chancellors" and basically run Student Affairs while we search for a new vice chancellor. While this is big news on the UIS campus, it will be less than big news to some of our constituents and students. My hope is that our students, who are always our number one priority, will feel no glitches and that they continue to enjoy their educational and developmental experiences to the fullest. A few people posted comments about Dr. Miller's departure after a previous post about this issue.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At June 11, 2008 at 12:00 PM , Blogger vishal said...

It is sad to see Dr. Miller go away as he was a great helping hand and a wonderful person to talk and work with as far as international students are concerned. I had a great time serving as a Senator for the student government and the President of the Indian Student Organization during his tenure. Hats off to Dr. Miller.
He was kind enough to shed some money from his funs to get the "Cricket ground" ready for the international students. A job half done as per me. It still requires the laying of the turf on the cemented pitch in the middle of the ground. I hope by the transition of the Department under The Chancellor the work might get some priority and hopefully soon we might see the turf laid and a full cricket ground ready for the students to play.

At June 11, 2008 at 1:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Transition is difficult but I have full confidence in the transition team. Wojcicki has many years of experience with UIS and will provide excellent leadership to the team overall.

At June 13, 2008 at 3:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a welcome relief to see Dr. Miller leave UIS. We can only hope that the new vice chancellor will be more honest and open with the students that he is supposed to be advocating for.

At June 25, 2008 at 10:55 AM , Anonymous Bradjward said...

I always find it ironic that those who advocate for more honesty and openness tend to hide behind the 'anonymous' feature. Directly above it is an easy way to share your name with your thought on a blog.

Seems like the right plans are in place for a smooth transition.

At June 30, 2008 at 3:32 PM , Blogger Kevin Lohrasbi said...

When looking back at University of Illinois at Springfield (UIS) and especially UIS Athletics during the past years, this transition is a logical step toward the advancement of UIS- Especially as UIS Athletics moves from NAIA to NCAA Division II. I support this move not only for the growth of the university today but its impact on the future of UIS toward the progress of the goal as stated by Chancellor Ringeisen:
“... becoming one of the top five small public liberal arts universities in the nation.”

At July 7, 2008 at 5:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said, "bradjward". A lot of people don't realize what a huge loss Dr. Miller's leaving will be to this campus, and that's a real shame.

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home