The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Chris Miller heading to Marquette

Dr. Chris Miller is leaving UIS to become vice president for student affairs at Marquette University. UIS Chancellor Richard Ringeisen made the announcement today, and Marquette made its own announcement as well. Dr. Miller is one of only two vice chancellors at UIS (the other is Provost Berman); but that is just one reason his departure is so significant. The chancellor called it a personal loss. I feel the same way. It's something that happens in professional careers: Good people and friends move on for better opportunities, and we wish them well. We want nothing but the best for them and their families. My main feeling now is that it's perfectly OK, and natural, and healthy, to pause and reflect on how good friends and colleagues enrich our own lives. That's what I'm doing today.

And then life goes on, in a slightly altered world.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

At May 21, 2008 at 6:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Miller will be missed by a lot of us. He was always so student-oriented, and I for one am very grateful. He showed us how to be enthusiastic!

At May 21, 2008 at 8:23 PM , Blogger Jason said...

Best wishes to Dr. Miller who has certainly left an indelible mark on the Springfield campus during what could be considered its most critical phase of expansion.

For me, working with and yes, even debating with such a colleague has and will continue to be an experience well worth had.

Stuebe
PAA '05 & '07

At May 22, 2008 at 1:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an awesome example of a true leader, soft but firm, understanding and always willing to listen to anyone. He promotes teamwork, working together and for all students at-large. As a student, I will take his example with me throughout my career. He has made a termendous my life and I know many, many others.

We all want whats best for him and his family, in his personal and career. Marquette is truly lucky to have him, where UIS will lose one of the best leaders.

At May 22, 2008 at 4:03 PM , Anonymous shana said...

Dr. Miller will be greatly missed! UIS won't be the same without him.

At May 23, 2008 at 10:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

eIm hurt....this transition will effect the students that Dr. Miller has helped since their arrival at UIS. It just seems sooooo abrupt and unreal. I feel deserted because of my ignorance of his departure. This is unfortunate and.....im hurt.

At May 23, 2008 at 12:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Miller has been an inspiraional leader and positive influence to all of us at UIS. Couldn't describe Dr. Miller's influence any better than what has been stated by others, other than to add he's a man of integrity and compassion. He's already missed by many here.

At May 23, 2008 at 4:44 PM , Anonymous LaTrice said...

Dr. Miller has been an amazing influence in my four years as an undergrad at UIS. I know that there is something special awaiting him at his new position. You will be missed, incredibly. Thank you for your leadership and investment in students and be blessed in all you do!

At June 5, 2008 at 10:17 AM , Anonymous Mary OMalley said...

Dr Miller was and always be that angel in disguise. He helped my daughter and I when he first arrived and he knows most of the students names. He is such a wonderful person he created a job for me in student life when the journal closed during summer, he encouraged me to do my best. if it wasnt for him and countless other UIS angels I would not have made it. the bad things being said by some students, well we will pray for those students. Dr Miller is one of those people UIS will always call family
Best to you and your wonderful wife and children

At June 11, 2008 at 11:16 AM , Anonymous Brad J Ward said...

Dr. Miller, as well as all of the other administration, made my UIS experience what it was. And it was great. I learned more about leadership, integrity, and life lessons from people like Dr. Miller than I ever learned in a classroom or from a book.

He has certainly left his mark on this campus, as well as the greater Springfield area through his work outside of office hours in the community.

At June 11, 2008 at 12:23 PM , Anonymous Sandy Mills said...

The departure of Dr. Miller is a personal loss, as Chris has been a good friend. It will also be a huge loss to UIS. The Chancellor's recent transition memo is proof that the job was too much for any one person. It is a shame that Dr. Miller had little opportunity to perform in a managable position. In my view, he was a fine administrator in a job that demanded too many hats.
Dr. Sandy Mills
Associate Professor

At January 15, 2009 at 7:12 PM , Anonymous outdoor antenna said...

He will be missed by many but he has left a mark on all of us here. once in a great while you find an inspiring teacher of life like Dr. Miller

At June 11, 2009 at 4:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi student-oriented, and I for one am very grateful. He showed us how to be enthusiastic!

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home