The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Friday, April 25, 2008

Tired

I heard someone say this week that at every meeting she attends now, it seems that somebody is tired or angry (and expresses it) or both. Indeed, it is a time of year when so many people are running on fumes or low energy. Every year at this time I remind myself of that. It's partially the result of so much hard work for so long. So many things just have to be finished before the end of the semester and commencement. So I also try to create a blame-free zone wherever I go -- to give people a little more understanding, to give them a safe place to vent if necessary, and then to do what I can to help. Nothing wrong with admitting we're a bit tired. So let's name it and do our best.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At May 18, 2008 at 9:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

At May 29, 2008 at 11:27 PM , Anonymous shana said...

Which is harder - to create a "blame-free zone" for others, or to create one for yourself?

May we have the courage, humility, and patience to give AND RECEIVE grace, and may we learn to include ourselves in the giving. As I look back on a very exhausting year at UIS, I wish I would have taken this advice sooner, admitting that I was/am tired and that I could use a little grace, especially towards myself.

Thanks for this post, Ed. You really nailed it.

-shana

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home