The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Proud of our SGA president

Bob Skorczewski, the Student Government Association president, did a great job this morning at the Lobby Day for higher education in downtown Springfield. His theme was "Right Here, Right Now!" His message was that higher education students and staff should be able to look back a decade from now remember how hard they fought for higher education funding in Illinois, so that a college education remains as affordable as possible. His message and his delivery were so moving that at the end, the crowd briefly chanted, "Right here, right now!"

2 Comments:

At April 9, 2008 at 3:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob is a great advocate for higher education and its affordability, a very worthy cause in today's world. Great job, Bob!

At April 11, 2008 at 1:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you to Ed and the anonymous poster. I'm glad students are taking more notice of higher education issues in the government. Over my years here I've seen a lot of engagement and it is great!

Whether it's taking on a proposed truck stop at the City Council, or working on textbook affordability in the General Assembly, or looking for lower interest rates in student loans in the federal government, UIS students are taking lead roles in making the voice of the people heard.

I can't forget to mention the campus heroes who stick up for students in all levels of governance. Also, campus clubs are getting involved with their various missions to work for social justice (USAS, College Political Clubs, BSU, OLAS, etc.)--all are doing their part for students.

Thank you to all the students who work to help each other.

-Bob Skorczewski
SGA President
ISA Chair

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home