The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Friday, April 4, 2008

Not always the publicity we seek

A couple of recent articles in the Springfield State Journal-Register generated quite a few comments, some favorable and some not so favorable about UIS. One was about enrollment, the other about tuition for new students next year. You might want to see what others are saying, and add to the discussion here. I'll add some comments of my own soon.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At April 7, 2008 at 8:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed, didn't The school newspaper already report on these two issues? I remember reading a number of articles about recruitment, retention and enrollment for the fall.

At April 8, 2008 at 5:57 AM , Anonymous Ed Wojcicki said...

Sure, the UIS Journal covers such topics. That helps me understand what issues might be worthy of even more discussion. Plus, I thought it was worthwhile to let people know the kinds of comments generated in the local newspaper.

At April 9, 2008 at 4:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the comments for the SJR article on retention were fascinating. The balance between positive and negative was more or less even, but really the negative comments were the most useful. I think (and have always thought) that this campus has the potential to be great. The administration needs to listen to input, even negative input that makes them squirm, and take it to heart, not gloss over it.

Here's some input of my own: this place won't become great by building more sports facilities or creating more sports teams or printing up more brochures of grinning undergraduates cavorting on the Quad. It'll become great by having great teachers and providing a great education.

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home