The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Jobs and careers

I was at an alumni meeting a few days ago. A dean asked what we remember wanting when we were in college -- something that alumni might have been able to help us with. I answered in one word. Jobs! I was graduating and I wanted a job. That makes me wonder what our current students are thinking, and how the job search might be going for our soon-to-be graduates. ANd what advice our faculty might have for students wanting a job. UIS has a Career Center to provide assistance for students AND employers. I wonder if that's enough.

3 Comments:

At April 24, 2008 at 4:54 PM , Anonymous christyuis said...

I craved more practical experience before I left college life. I would have appreciated opportunities to job shadow, more openings for internships, or to have a grad share their experience with me on the path their career took after they left college. A base of alumni mentors for each educational program would have been fabulous, but was not offered by my college.

At April 26, 2008 at 8:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I would have to say that career services on campus sucks. Instead of having experienced and professional workers check your resume,they let inexperienced students do it.I don't even think UIS has employers coming from different companies to conduct interviews on campus. There are simply not enough opportunities for UIS graduates to get a job after they graduate.

At July 8, 2008 at 4:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I graduated with a degree in Child, Family, and Community Services only to find out that employers do not want my degree. They instead want Social Work so my degree is virtually no good. I might as well not even have graduated with a college degree. How do you pay back student loans when you can't afford to eat? I have been told by the career center that others are experiencing this too. My question is what does the college plan to do about this to help their students with this degree?

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home