The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Friday, April 25, 2008

A great opening at Emiquon

I hope to savor for a long time the upbeat spirit at the grand Grand Opening ceremony at the Emiquon Field Station north of Havana. It was a celebration of a remarkable partnership that includes UIS, The Nature Conservancy and the adjacent Dickson Mounds Museum. All were well represented today. I had a chance to chat with Dr. Mike Wiant of Dickson Mounds, with TNC state director Leslee Spraggins, and of course, our own Professor Mike Lemke. What they have in common is passion. Passion for one of the most remarkable floodplain restoration projects in the world. I always love hearing Mike talk about Emiquon and how he wants to bring students literally into natural settings to teach them. Courtney Westlake gave us a look at the Emiquon research last fall, and she was there again today to cover the event. [ADDED SATURDAY MORNING]: Chris Young of Springfield's State Journal-Register had a really good article about the event in today's paper.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At April 27, 2008 at 12:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you think about TODAY'S paper, Ed?

At April 27, 2008 at 10:39 PM , Blogger Ed Wojcicki said...

I was disappointed. I know a lot of dedicated people at UIS who are serving our disabled population with the highest level of concern and professionalism.

At April 28, 2008 at 11:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good response, sounds just like every other administrator here....

At April 28, 2008 at 3:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so glad to be a part of the Emiquon Field Station ribbon cutting and opening! What an incredible part of the University - definitely something to be proud of. I encourage everyone to make the trip to explore the Emiquon Preserve in the near future!

At April 30, 2008 at 2:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed-
Why no discussion thread about the SJR's disability article?

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home