The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Friday, April 18, 2008

Earthquake

Yeah, I felt it this morning. I was in bed and must have been awakened by it about 4:36 a.m., the reports are saying. What a strange feeling to feel this monumental shaking. Another reminder that nature always has its way, that the natural order just overpowers us sometimes, and we're not as in control as we might imagine or pretend to be. Nobody hurt, no damage, as far as I know, and that's the good news. They're saying it was 5.2 on the Richter scale. And now, life goes on.

19 Comments:

At April 18, 2008 at 7:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It woke me up and flashed me back. I was in the 1989 earthquake in San Francisco, a hugely destructive event. Here is a great website that chronicles that quake: http://www.sfmuseum.org/1906/89.html

At April 18, 2008 at 8:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too was awakened by the trembling of the Earth. At first I thought that President White and the Chancellor's had decided that a cost-of-living pay increase would be implemented in addition to the merit pay increases we receive for doing more with less each year. But after a few more seconds I was shaken to my senses and realized it was just an earthquake.

At April 18, 2008 at 8:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband and I jumped out of bed after being awakened by what felt like our whole room shaking. It was over by the time we got to our senses, and we thought "what WAS that?!" We heard this morning that it was actually an earthquake and couldn't believe it!

At April 18, 2008 at 8:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was awakened by the windows in the bedroom shaking and I thought it was high winds! It wasn't until we turned on the morning news that I discovered we had an earthquake.

At April 18, 2008 at 8:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it harder to feel an earthquake outside? My husband and I were walking at 4:37 a.m. and didn't feel a thing!

At April 18, 2008 at 8:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter is visiting us and she woke up thinking a tornado was coming. I remember thinking there must be a storm with strong winds because the vent on the side of our house was rattling.

At April 18, 2008 at 9:00 AM , Anonymous j said...

My wife and I woke up and noticed the windows and door rattling. She said, "What's that?" I said, "It's an earthquake I think." Then we went back to sleep. I've experienced a lot of these overseas; it's only her second one. I turned on the computer in the morning and checked out sj-r. They said 911 received lots of calls, and some people thought there were intruders in their house shaking the doors.

At April 18, 2008 at 9:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Almost slept right through it :-D I do remember waking up slightly though and feeling the bed shake. I didn't think much of it since my wife had stolen the sheets, I figgered i was just shivering at the time. So I stole back the sheets and fell back asleep.

Glad to hear that there was lil or no damage!

I was down at SIUC in 89'-90' when the New Madrid fault shook. That one wasn't strong either but I do remember my bed shaking then too. Course I thought it was my roommate shaking my bed to wake me up...until I woke up and noticed that he had already left for class.

Well here's to the start of an eventful weekend!!!!!!!!!!!

At April 18, 2008 at 9:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I woke up, read the blog, and immediately knew I was at UIS, where our typical, bitter sourpusses would post a comment like #2, trying to blame the administration for everything, including earthquakes. If you don't like it here, get another job and get out. Too bad you didn't get buried in the quake.

At April 18, 2008 at 9:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My family members and I all thought we had lost our minds when we felt the quake. We were happy to wake up and find out we weren't imagining things.

At April 18, 2008 at 10:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cats were acting strangely last night, following me around and "talking" up a storm, and my son's new puppy began barking about fifteen minutes before it hit. Just shows how finely attuned to nature some creatures are. Me? I slept right through it..LOL

At April 18, 2008 at 10:16 AM , Anonymous Dana Goodrum said...

I was sleeping so soundly when suddenly my dream turned in to someone shaking me! When I opened my eyes I was still shaking and by the time I came too my senses it was over. Immediately I was receiving phone calls from staff and friends and I went to check on my son who was peacefully sleeping! I am glad to hear everyone is safe, okay and there is no damage! Oh wow! As I type this I believe we just had a tremor!!!!!

At April 18, 2008 at 11:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As it was, I was awake when the quake hit (insomnia) and my office chair (w/wheels) rolled back and forth but nothing else happened; USGS.gov said the quake was near the southeastern edge of the state; which was a shock because I had thought the New Madrid fault was the cause; I was also awake for the aftershock at 10:16 AM

At April 18, 2008 at 11:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

At April 18, 2008 at 11:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quake? I was certain it was poltergeist. Foiled again!

At April 18, 2008 at 11:40 AM , Anonymous ChristyUIS said...

At April 18, 2008 at 11:42 AM , Anonymous ChristyUIS said...

We were also awakened about the same time. We first thought it might be lightening, but then the windows just kept on rattling and would not stop. Our daughter was in her room crying out "someone come and help me1" When I was out walking my dog this morning, it's all the neighbors were talking about. And did you feel the aftershock this morning? We were having a meeting at Illinois Issues and Dana said he knew an aftershock was coming! I had not even thought about that.

My husband said this morning "and we don't have earthquake insurance..." Hmm -- something to think about!

At April 18, 2008 at 12:39 PM , Anonymous Ed Wojcicki said...

I don't know who deleted two of the comments posted above. I'm looking into how it happened. Maybe it's something the Google people did. If I find out, I will let you know. Keep your comments coming.

At April 21, 2008 at 4:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is proof that the end times are nigh! Repent fornicators!

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home