The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Saturday, March 1, 2008

What's on your mind?

I don’t mind a little controversy. I keep in touch with leading campus groups such as the Academic Professional Advisory Committee (APAC) and the Civil Service Advisory Committee (CSAC) to find out what concerns them. Last Sunday at the Student Government Association meeting, student leaders were talking about issues with parking. Police Chief Mitchell was there to answer some of their questions, and that’s good. I created this blog to provide another way for administrators to communicate with students, staff, and people in the community. I hope it will help build community here at UIS. So what’s on your mind?

Labels:

10 Comments:

At March 3, 2008 at 1:33 PM , Anonymous Ana said...

As I've discussed the parking issue with many people on campus, I can without a doubt say that there really needs to be a new system put in place.

It is very frustrating as a student to not know exactly where I can park on campus. It's even more confusing for those visiting UIS. Parking signs need to updated so there is a clear understanding of where students and visitors can park. Without a clear understanding of parking regulations visitors will get discouraged and feel unwelcome on our campus because of the $25 ticket they'll receive when parking in a lot that doesn't specify they can't park there.

At March 3, 2008 at 3:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think in some areas parking is fine where as in other areas there isn't enough. There is no place for guests and over night guests to park without getting a ticket. Even then if you call the police and tell them about someone coming to campus they say that's fine. If they get a ticket they'll take care of it. By that they just rip it up. What is even the point then of giving them the ticket? They need to have something that they can either sign in or put something up in there window saying who they are.

At March 3, 2008 at 11:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is indeed a frustrating topic, but it is one that can be easily resolved if there were signs that specify the rules for parking. I hope this is taken into consideration.

At March 5, 2008 at 12:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The parking situation needs to change. I agree that there needs to be better signs saying who can park at which lot or what time will cars in that lot be fined.

At March 28, 2008 at 3:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a staff member planning/helping with day/evening events for visiting contributors, it seems very disorganized to me that people we solicit for gifts/funds are getting parking tickets while attending an evening event. We have no idea who has been given a ticket unless people make us aware and we wonder who feels too cheap to mention it. Are we losing donations to the $25 parking ticket? Another example of appearing disorganized are interview candidates we invite to UIS who get parking tickets. UIS really needs to implement a visitor parking pass that we can send ahead to visitors and look more efficient. It simply makes more sense. UIS printed card stock with a space for a written date is a small cost that probably more than covers the cost of writing a ticket that is later voided.

At March 28, 2008 at 4:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think in the tear drop they need signs tellling the hours where we need to deposit money in it. Maybe I'm just naive or ignorant, but I'm not sure about the parking rules at the tear drop. They have meters there but no signs that says what hours we have to put money in or if we have to put money in at all times. I don't know if we were informed maybe on orientation day or whatever day but I think they need to put some notice there because I just assumed it was like in town and I didn't have to put in any money after 5, but I got two tickets for parking there after 6 pm. If the rules apply differently to universities, I wish there was a better way of informing us. And the ticket system is totally messed up. I don't know if it's the police or the financial services but I paid for quite a few tickets online through the school and yet the police said I didn't pay them? Whose fault is this? I want to know.

At March 28, 2008 at 5:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Parking policies are horrible at UIS!!!

At March 28, 2008 at 6:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also know many students and staff members that are unhappy with the parking situation. First of all, who wants to put a sticker on the back of their new car? If you pay the annual parking fee and tape the decal on the inside of rear window, you will recieve a 25 dollar fine for not properly displaying the sticker. Also, when there are events on-campus, certain areas get blocked off and require a fee to park. So the parking lot you frequent, may be completely inaccessible or available for a small sum of cash(that is, of course, in addition to the annual fee). And, as others discussed, parking signs are not clear and vistors can get frustrated.

At March 29, 2008 at 7:57 AM , Anonymous Ed Wojcicki said...

To the person who wants to know whose fault it was about the tickets, what I will ask is that you contact me and that will allow me to help sort it out for you. wojcicki.ed@uis.edu.

At March 29, 2008 at 8:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I visit SIUE to see my sister we go to the housing office and she fills out a parking hang tag for my car. She shows her University ID and I show my drivers license, then I park in a visitor parking lot and hang the tag from my rearview mirror. Just a suggestion.

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home