The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Safety at UIS and other universities

I am still hearing lots of discussion about what happened February 14 at Northern Illinois University. It has led to some good discussions here at UIS about safety issues and dealing with emergencies. I’m wondering how safe our staff and students here feel. Comments?

Labels:

12 Comments:

At March 3, 2008 at 7:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still feel pretty safe around UIS. What happened at NIU could happen anywhere, unfortunately, so I just hope we're prepared.

At March 3, 2008 at 9:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always felt safe on this campus. Unfortunately, we live in a world where things like what happen at NIU are becoming more common. We just need to make sure we are prepared to deal with whatever might happen.

At March 3, 2008 at 1:37 PM , Anonymous Ana said...

I also feel safe here on our campus. I think our campus and other campuses can become better prepared through the creation of a proper action plan if an event like the one the occurred at NIU. What is UIS currently doing to implement a current safety plan?

At March 3, 2008 at 3:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, I would have to say I feel very safe on this campus. Everything on campus is in close walking distance. What happened at NIU was a very tragic incident but it has not made me feel less safe at this school. Ofcourse it is disturbing but I try not to live my life in fear. It is impossible to know what people are capable of therefore being aware of your surroundings is the primary key to your safety.

At March 3, 2008 at 8:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a scary thing that happened at NIU. It could happen anywhere and there is really no way to see when and where it could happen. UIS does feel safe. It's an open campus that people are free to come and go. I think it feels safe because it's close to in town without it really being in town.

At March 5, 2008 at 12:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still feel safe at UIS. What happened at NIU was a horrible event, but I believe that the UIS Administration, Police force, and general staff provide this campus with a safe atmosphere and tells us how to respond to threats. This way if something happens on our campus we will know how to act.

At March 5, 2008 at 3:07 PM , Blogger Ed Wojcicki said...

Ana, glad you asked what UIS is currently doing to implement a safety plan. We have the new Emergency Notification System, and we are quickly developing more detailed emergency plans for each building. Also, our police and administrators are planning some special training sessions, and announcements about those will be made at the right time. We want people to feel safe so let me know if there's more you think we should be doing.

At March 17, 2008 at 2:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When do you think there will be a completion for the emergency plan. I was wondering if there have been any other emergency plans put into place in the past. Was it effective? Did it take the tragedy that happened at NIU for this school to realise it needed an emergency plan?

At March 28, 2008 at 2:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe Northwestern is implementing an outdoor alert system. Will UIS do so as well? Additionally, when will UIS test the current system to determine effectiveness? Thanks.

At March 28, 2008 at 3:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's what I want to know - has the UIS emergency notification system been tested? And if not, when will it be? I heard that at Virginia Tech, they had a system in place for people to be notified by cell phone, but during the time of the emergency they were so flooded with calls that the cell phones didn't work. Does UIS have a plan to deal with this if it happens here?

At March 28, 2008 at 4:19 PM , Anonymous Ed Wojcicki said...

We are planning to test our system in the near future, and an announcement about that should be made soon. We are indeed looking into multiple means of notifying people, including an outdoor public address system. As for the overload on cell phones, we will learn something when we conduct the test, and the possibility of that is one reason we need to have multiple means to contact people in the case of an emergency.

At March 28, 2008 at 4:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

An alarm system isn't as important as educating the students in prevention. Sometimes tragic things just happen despite our effots, but other times it's because people don't take the time and effort to protect themselves. I feel pretty safe at the campus. If I do get a little scared, it's just my personality. I'm a paranoid freak sometimes. Anyways, prevention is the key because who knows what most of would do in dangerous situation. If we're lucky there will be no weapons involved and we can scream and hit as hard as we can. Even though there are situations where it seems we can't do anything, we should always believe that we can.

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home