The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Chancellor's chat

I see where the UIS Journal has a rather negative slant on the "Chancellor's Chat," a new videotaped program that we show on the internal campus TV channel. It's also available on the UIS web site. Oh well. Think of it this way: the TV chat is a way for our top admininistrator to reach out, just as this blog is. Criticism is to be expected. But if you haven't seen one of these shows, you might want to check out an interview with Police Chief Don Mitchell about safety on campus. See http://www.uis.edu/mediaquad/chancellorschat/index.html

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

At March 17, 2008 at 2:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did not see the negative comment in the UIS Journal, but I have seen the show. It's a good show but when will the chancellor get LIVE questions that put him on the spot?

At March 20, 2008 at 10:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read the editorial in UIS Journal about the Chancellor, but I have not watched his show on the campus channel.

I do believe that students deserve to ask and receive a response about different things that go on around campus. But it seems that some people are unhappy that the Chancellor's questions are not filmed live. If he would just have an event where students could come and ask him questions then maybe this would be away to show the campus that not all of his responses are rehearsed.

He is only human and if he can’t answer a question right away I am sure he will look to for the answer and get back to campus community on the issue.

At March 21, 2008 at 1:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that the UIS Journal was harsh. I mean yeah they could get some students on there or do a LIVE show. I've seen the show and it's not like he's dancing around the questions that are being asked of him. If people don't like the questions that he is being asked there is a simple way to solve that problem, and that is send their own questions in.

At March 21, 2008 at 4:28 PM , Anonymous Ed Wojcicki said...

For those who wanted a live show, look at the most recent "Chat," which is now on the web. http://www.uis.edu/mediaquad/chancellorschat/20080319.html

A couple of student editors asked the chancellor questions in a live setting. There will be additional "live formats" in the future.

At March 24, 2008 at 12:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not watched an entire show, but I did read the editorial in the Journal. I think the Chancellor's Chat is a great idea, and I don't see what the big deal is about it being live or not. The point of the show is not to put the Chancellor on the spot with sensitive questions and see how he responds. The point is to give him one more outlet to be connected to the campus community.

But then again, I find it extremely difficult to take anything the Journal writes seriously. Between poor grammar, frequent misspellings and such mistakes as referring to the University of Illinois at Champaign as UIC, it is ridiculous...

At March 28, 2008 at 3:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As to the person above: One more outlet as a talking head? If he truly wanted to become more connected to the community he would've made an effort to have students on the show before he was blasted in the Journal. It just seems like a massive PR campaign (which is pretty much his entire job). "Oh look at that lovely campus, what a nice old man talking about his love of Frank Sinatra and other outdated pop culture references!" Does anyone know any self-respecting 18 and older student who would willingly watch Chancellor Chat and not laugh at the awkwardly pre-meditated fluff answers? I don't.

Kudos to the Journal for questioning administration rather than blindly following. After all isn't that what a 'liberal arts' education is supposed to provide us?

At March 28, 2008 at 5:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a staff member I have only viewed one of the Chancellor Chats but thought they were a great outreach and personal touch.

At March 28, 2008 at 5:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

5 star comment about above referring to the Chancellor's PR campaign. The Journal is getting more independent and risk-taking by the issue, and it is great.

At March 28, 2008 at 10:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that the chat seems to be a PR move by the administration...I'm a student and I feel that if the Chancellor was really interested in me, he would take the time to learn what the students care about. I also thought it was thoughtless for him to talk about sexual assaults on campus by saying that there aren't men jumping out from behind trees....as obviously when people are raped by people they know, that is not how it happens.

At March 30, 2008 at 6:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank God this school finally has a real student newspaper. I love how Ed Wojiciki, the Chancellor, hell, every admin type always say "Criticism is a good thing." As if we needed permission to dissent from their sheltered viewpoints about campus issues.

At March 31, 2008 at 6:32 AM , Anonymous Ed Wojcicki said...

Mark Twain once said the purpose of a newspaper is not only to print the news, but to make people mad enough to do something about it. As a guy with more than 25 years in journalism before I moved into administration, I've always liked that quote.

The Chancellor's Chat and this blog are not designed to give anyone "permission" to express anti-administration views. On the contrary, we just want to provide more forums for thoughtful discussion. I'd appreciate hearing more, publicly or privately, about what you believe are our "sheltered views of campus issues." Thanks for you comment.

At April 7, 2008 at 7:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that the Chancellor's Chat can not be considered a forum for thoughtful discussion if the Chancellor talks to no one is allowed to achieve a personal discourse with him. His answering questions to a camera does not count.

At April 9, 2008 at 9:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is fantastic that the Chancellor does the "Chancellor Chats". They help the Chancellor really stay in touch with the UIS student community! Thanks Chancellor!

At April 12, 2008 at 4:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh lordy, did the Chancellor's buddies write that last post? It's not "staying in touch" when it's a one way convo.

At April 14, 2008 at 12:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the comment about our "real newspaper." If you read the most recent issue of The Journal you would be shocked at the low quality of editing displayed. If The Journal really wants to make a point and shine light on campus issues then start acting like a real newspaper and EDIT THE ARTICLES!

At April 14, 2008 at 6:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, good reasoning in the above article. That's like saying that because Hilary Clinton had a run in her stockings, we're not going to vote for her. Absurdity.

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home