The UIS Community

A new kind of conversation addressing issues that UIS students and staff care about.

Friday, March 14, 2008

Bus service

Every once in awhile I hear that students would benefit from more bus service. I'd like to know what destinations residential students are most interested in, and what times of day they would be most likely to use the bus service, whether it's a UIS shuttle or a city bus. What can we do to improve this?

14 Comments:

At March 18, 2008 at 9:51 AM , Blogger Liz said...

Lets not start with the assumption that bus service to campus should just serve residential students (although it is silly that a student who lives on campus has to own a car in order to get by). The majority of students at UIS are still folks that live off campus and who primarily take evening classes. So how hard could this be: bus service from downtown that runs to campus before six and then another that runs at 9 and 930 out? Other campus subsidize their transportation options through student fees. I suspect there would be support for that as long as the bus was efficient and convenient.

It'd be great to hear from others who live on campus about what places they would want the bus to go and when.

I've also heard of schools that hire student workers as "chauffers" to prevent drunk driving that are available in evening hours for free or a small cost. What about a UIS "taxi"? It would cost less and save on fuel, probably.

At March 20, 2008 at 10:21 AM , Anonymous Ana said...

Even though I think it would be helpful and useful for a bus service to go to and from downtown, I also can see a great benefit in providing bus service for residential students. A bus can help on campus students by providing transportation to grocery stores, nearby restaurants that do not deliver to UIS, and other Springfield locations. I'm sure local businesses could also see a potential for a bus service because that would mean more students from UIS would be contributing to their businesses.

If we could use the same bus service to travel downtown during the weekends until two or three in the morning for those visiting the bars or just visiting downtown, it may have the potential to decrease on campus drinking because students would have a safe way of travel. I know the buses as UIUC run until 1 or 2 in the morning and their campus also provides a "Safe ride" option for students to call in if they are unable to drive home or feel unsafe to travel home alone.

At March 20, 2008 at 10:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that there should be a bus service or shuttle that takes students downtown and the mall area. This will be very helpful especially for those students who do not have a car on campus.

At March 28, 2008 at 3:00 PM , Blogger vishal said...

Saturday and Sunday should also be taken in to consideration for those students who need to buy groceries and other necessary commodities and who are without any means of transportation.
Some classes get over at 8 as compared to 9 or 9.30. So how can we help them go back home without waiting in campus till 9 or 9.30

At March 28, 2008 at 3:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the person that said that buses should come to the campus and take students to nearby places where they can buy groceries and such.

It's hard enough to live at a school that's in the middle of a cornfield and has nothing around it but to add to that a lack of transportation is all the more difficult.

Buses definately need to cater to the college students and run later in the evenings both ways. It is a shame that the UIS bus does not regularly run after 6 (although maybe they have changed that a little bit?)

The taxi cab idea sounds neat too. It would be safe and I bet there could be a good profit from it too.

At March 28, 2008 at 3:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Ana and Liz about the need for a "Safe Ride" program at UIS. Obviously, college students are going to drink sometimes, so why not make sure they get home safely? Some Christian colleges have Safe Ride programs, even though drinking is strictly against their school rules, because they recognize the importance of harm reduction. Why can't UIS do the same?

Also, I agree with Vishal about the need for on-campus students to have weekend transportation to go to the mall and buy groceries. Especially for the international students. We have lots of students here at UIS from other countries who don't have a car or a driver's license, and no access to a grocery store unless they happen to have a roommate or friend with a car. Seriously, on campus students can walk to Mobil and buy alcohol easier than they can get to a grocery store! I think that definitely needs to be addressed.

At March 28, 2008 at 3:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that an agreement should be made with the SMTD to allow students, faculty, and staff to show their I-card and get rides for free on any of the bus routes throughout Springfield. I just transferred from the Urbana campus as an employee there and that is what they had setup.

At March 29, 2008 at 4:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel having SMTD bus service (Bus No: 11) to UIS campus after 6.00 PM is very important, as students are forced to return or stay back at the campus. Atleast having SMTD run a bus for every one hour till 9.00 PM will be a great help to students at UIS.

Its high time that the UIS administration understand the need of public transportation to UIS students and work with SMTD to resolve this problem.

At March 29, 2008 at 8:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We do have a bus at night! I am a student worker and I drive the night shuttle bus from 7-11pm. I posted the link for our services. I would love to get everyone where they need to go just ask. We meet the SMTD bus every hour at the Capital City Shopping Center. Any student can go to the mall or to a grocery store there is a 4hr window to get there and back via SMTD. While the shuttle is free of charge no one uses it? I can count about 10 students that actually use it. In order for UIS to expand its services we need more people to use it first. Please come check it out, I would love to have more riders!

At March 31, 2008 at 11:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to see bus service to the campus so that employees could also use it to save on gas that is going sky high. Some nights I am here after 6:30 and unless I have my car I cannot get home. I think this is an issue that SMTD should be looking at. We have lots of students on this campus that would use the bus 7 days a week if the hours were better. I also agree that UIS students & employees should be able to at least ride at a very reduced rate. Normajean

At April 4, 2008 at 6:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do agree that some students have a hard time getting groceries because they do not have a car.

At April 7, 2008 at 7:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The walk to any gas station or store in any direction is too far for students, and most probably too unsafe as well.

At April 9, 2008 at 9:09 PM , Blogger Danny said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

At August 24, 2011 at 1:20 AM , Blogger chenyiqin said...

The other is to understand the discursive processes through which the American bloggers utilize the blogging technology to narrate their (mis)conceptions of the Chinese realities. Equally important to these two focuses is an emphasis on revealing a delicate interplay between the production of the digital discourses about contemporary China in blog sphere, the bloggers’ assumptions of the Chinese government’s encompassing air jordanscontrol of the Internet, and the surging nationalism exhibited by the Chinese readers of the blogs?

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home